The NSW mum who was filmed laughing while watching her 10-month-old baby boy inhale fumes from a vape will not face charges, police have revealed.
Officers attached to the Mid North Coast Police District attended a home in Kempsey on Tuesday following a “concern-for-welfare report”, regarding a young boy.
The check is believed to have followed the emergence of sickening footage posted to social media showing the baby sucking on an e-cigarette provided by his aunt.
In one clip, a woman can be heard asking the baby “want to try?” before sticking the vape in his mouth, while in a second video a woman is seen laughing as the baby coughs out the toxic vapour.
The baby coughs after inhaling the vapour. Picture: Supplied
But despite many viewers condemning the actions of the mother and other woman in the video, NSW Police said it has investigated the matter with no further actions to occur.
“Police have now spoken with the child’s family and – following advice provided by medical professionals and other governmental agencies – no further police action will be taken,” a NSW Police spokesperson said.
The decision to not press charges comes amid calls for the baby to be taken away from his mother from appalled viewers.
“Who gives their kid a vape, grow up and be a better mother,” one person commented.
“How can you put the vape up to your own son’s mouth and watch him suck on it and laugh while he’s choking and coughing.”
The mother later defended herself in a comment on Facebook.
“Every c*** got the hide to sit there and talk about me and my child, take a look in yas own backyard,” she wrote.
“You ain’t perfect either so keep that mouth going you ain’t scary, you’re nothing but bums.”
Disturbing footage shows a baby being handed a vape. Picture: Supplied
Calls to the NSW Poisons Information Centre (NSWPIC) for accidental vaping exposure more than tripled last year, while children aged between one and four accounted for up 48 per cent of calls made to the hotline in regards to e-cigarette exposure in 2021.
“We know vaping inhalant already has the potential to be a highly toxic substance in adults so the concern is even more real for toddlers and young children,” Dr Darren Roberts said in an article on the matter posted to The Sydney’s Children’s Hospitals Network.
Mum hits back over ‘selfish’ pregnancy actMum I need to tell you something, I’m in trouble
“Due to their size, vaping toxicity can be much higher in children so it is vital they do not accidentally gain access to these substances.”
For parents who believe their child has inhaled smoke from a vape, experts recommend seeking medical advice from the poisons hotline or visiting an emergency room.
Read related topics:Sydney