A Melbourne university student accused of sending Australian Senator Pauline Hanson death threats over social media will fight the charges.
Ibrahim Koshin-Connor, 27, appeared briefly before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Friday, where his lawyer Sarah Condon asked for the matter to be set down for a three-day contested hearing.
Mr Koshin-Connor was arrested after allegedly posting “serious online threats” directed towards Ms Hanson on September 16 and October 11 last year.
He was arrested by the Australian Federal Police in October at a Brunswick property where they seized devices including a laptop and desktop computer.
Ms Condon told the court one of the issues which will be tested at the hearing is the “intent” behind his alleged actions.
Mr Koshin-Conner is accused of two counts of using a carriage service to make a threat to kill with the intention of causing that person to fear the threat would be carried out.
Ibrahim Koshin-Connor will fight allegations he threatening to kill Pauline Hanson. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Josie Hayden
In court, prosecutors asked Magistrate Brett Sonnet to discontinue a third charge of using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence.
Prosecutor Declan Holmes flagged the discontinued charge would be replaced with a new allegation at a later date.
The prosecution intends to call eight witnesses, the court heard.
The allegations have been set down for a three-day contested hearing in August by Mr Sonnet.
Mr Koshin-Conner’s bail was varied to allow him to join a university excursion out of Victoria in February.
After his arrest, AFP acting commander Anita van Hilst said the arrest should send a “strong message” that police would identify and prosecute anyone harassing politicians.
“The AFP supports political expression and freedom of speech, however when it leads to criminal behaviour, including threats and harassment, even online, it will not be tolerated,” she said.
Read related topics:MelbourneOne NationPauline Hanson