A man has been forced to jump out of a second storey window after an e-bike exploded and set fire to his home.
At about 8pm on Sunday, emergency services responded to reports of a fire in Eastgardens, about 9km south of Sydney.
Fourteen Fire and Rescue NSW trucks attended the Mathewson St address after the fire spread from an exploding e-bike to the garage and floor of the home.
Footage of the scene shows major damage to the house and a burnt-out Toyota in the garage.
The home was significantly damaged, with a car in the garage destroyed. Picture: FRNSW
Authorities said all residents were able to escape the blaze uninjured, including the man who jumped from a second-storey balcony.
Fire and Rescue NSW believe the fire was caused after a faulty lithium-ion battery on the bike exploded, causing major damage to the home and destroying a vehicle in the garage.
Hazmat firefighters removed several other similar batteries from the scene over concerns they’d been compromised and were at risk of igniting or exploding.
Firefighters submerged the parts to prevent reignition at the scene. Picture: FRNSW
The e-bike was immersed in water to prevent reignition and a fire crew remained at the scene overnight to prevent any further fires.
FRNSW is using the incident as a reminder for others to use reputable and compatible lithium-ion battery brands and avoid overcharging while you’re asleep or away from home.
It said there were several reasons why the batteries might catch fire, including overcharging, exposure to extreme heat, short circuiting or damage due to dropping, crushing or piercing the device.
Fourteen fire trucks were called to put out the blaze. Picture: FRNSW