Man charged with raping woman

author
1 minute, 7 seconds Read

A high-profile man is due to front a Queensland court charged with the rape of a woman.

Police said the man was due to appear before Toowoomba Magistrates Court on Wednesday charged with two counts of rape relating to an incident in October 2021.

A Queensland Police Service spokesman confirmed the man had been charged with two counts of rape.

“Toowoomba Criminal Investigation Branch detectives have charged a … man with the alleged rape of a young woman in October, 2021,” police said in a statement.

“The man is scheduled to appear in Toowoomba Magistrates Court on January 11, 2023, charged with two counts of rape.”

Spokesmen from Justice Media and Queensland Police were not able to comment on the matter.

The Toowoomba Courthouse registry office was contacted for comment.

The man cannot be named at this stage under Queensland laws that prohibit the identification of those charged with alleged sexual assault or rape offences.

Last year, the second Hear Her Voice report – which highlighted the experiences of women and girls across the criminal justice system – was handed down.

The report made 188 recommendations, including educational campaigns aimed to dispel rape myths, among others.

One of the key recommendations was the ability to name people charged with sexual offences in Queensland, bringing it into line with other states and jurisdictions.

Read related topics:Brisbane

Similar Posts