Dozens of Australians have been evacuated out of “dangerous” Sudan overnight, as heavy fighting rages for the third week.
Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong took to Twitter on Wednesday morning to confirm 36 Australians and their family members, as well as citizens from six other countries, had been flown out on a RAAF C130 and landed in Cyprus around 4.20am on Wednesday.
At least 190 Australians have been evacuated since fighting broke out on April 15.
Senator Wong said the situation in the country was “very dangerous and volatile” but that getting Australians to safety was a “good outcome”.
Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong said Australia had been part of an international evacuation mission overnight. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Martin Ollman
“Unfortunately, we still have Australians on the ground, and we’ll continue to engage through our consular team with the Australians who are on the ground, and we urge people to make sure they are registered,” she told ABC Radio.
The United Nations estimates more than 100,000 people have fled Sudan since the conflict broke out, with concerns more than 334,000 people have been displaced within Sudan.
The unfolding humanitarian crisis began when rival forces – the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces – erupted into conflict.
Senator Wong said the government would provide “core funding” to the UN agencies that are already delivering assistance, and to the international Red Cross and Red Crescent.
“After the focus shifts to the humanitarian effort, we will look at what options we have within our assistance budget,” she said.