AFL star in court over revenge porn charge

author
1 minute, 37 seconds Read

Troubled North Melbourne midfielder Tarryn Thomas has returned to court after his club revealed he will not be playing “at any level”.

The 22-year-old, who also goes by the name Tarryn Jason Trindall, appeared before the Broadmeadows Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

The AFL star sat in the front row behind his lawyer, while two male associates were present in the court in support.

Mr Thomas is charged with a single count of threatening to distribute an intimate image.

Tarryn Thomas returned to court on Tuesday after his club revealed he would not be playing ‘at any level’. Picture: NCA NewsWire / David GeraghtyTarryn Thomas returned to court on Tuesday after his club revealed he would not be playing ‘at any level’. Picture: NCA NewsWire / David GeraghtyThe AFL star is charged with threatening to distribute a single image. Picture: NCA NewsWire / David GeraghtyThe AFL star is charged with threatening to distribute a single image. Picture: NCA NewsWire / David Geraghty

His lawyer told the court they were seeking the matter to be adjourned to a contest mention date in July.

Magistrate Abigail Burchill rejected an application by the media to release his charge documents, saying the matter was at an early stage.

“Many times in the court’s experience there are significant changes to the charges,” she said.

“In so far as releasing the charge, I am of the belief it will inaccurately depict what is ultimately pleaded guilty to or not guilty to.”

The North Melbourne Football Club announced last Friday that Mr Thomas would not be selected to play for the club “at any level”.

Tarryn Thomas and supporters leave Broadmeadows Magistrates' Court after appearing in court. Picture: NCA NewsWire / David GeraghtyTarryn Thomas and supporters leave Broadmeadows Magistrates’ Court after appearing in court. Picture: NCA NewsWire / David GeraghtyThe Kangaroos revealed last week that Thomas would no longer be selected to play. Phicture: Morgan Hancock/Getty ImagesThe Kangaroos revealed last week that Thomas would no longer be selected to play. Phicture: Morgan Hancock/Getty Images

Kangaroos chief executive Jennifer Watt said the club had been made aware of further allegations against Mr Thomas and he had failed to meet expectations in his respectful behaviour training program.

Outside court, Mr Thomas refused to comment on his career or the allegation.

He will next appear in the same court on July 18.

Read related topics:Melbourne

Similar Posts